JERK LAMB RIB
- Start with 2 racks of Lamb rib/breast.
- Trim the lamb of excess fat and shape so that they are easier to handle and cook.
- Peel off the underline membrane from from meat as much as possible
- Score your meat diamond shaped on the underneath (bone side) and single strikes on the top meat side to help the fat render down.
- If the lamb is a little dry, use a little mustard all over to create a sticky surface (you won’t be able to taste this).
- Season your lamb well. For the Jerk recipe we used Salt, Mint, Coriander, Rosemary, Thyme, Pepper, Garlic and Bay.
- Set your BBQ up to 275f and add any smoking wood you like. We added a little Oak.
- Leave the meat to smoke for around 50-60 minutes.
- Once the smoking has passed, check for some nice colour and slight drawback on the bones, your rub should also not peel away too easy.
- Take the meat out and wrap them. For this simple recipe we used kitchen foil and then placed them back in the pit at an increased temperature of 325f for another 50 minutes. Meat side down. This will tenderise the lamb and draw the meat back even more. You don’t have to add anything to the foil as lamb is a fattier meat anyway so will stay wet enough.
- Depending on the thickness of your cut, this time can increase or decrease so just keep an eye on them every 15mins after the initial 50mins passes.
- Check the lamb after the above time has passed, if you are happy with the tenderness take them out of the foil, then take the pit heat to around 450f. Crisp the skin face down for 5/10 minutes indirectly checking they do not burn. Then do the other side.
- Then, place them on the grill meat side up and baste them in your chosen Jerk BBQ Sauce. We used a recommended one from our local Jamaican Supermarket!
- Once you have a nice glaze (you can keep basting every 5/10mins until you are happy) take them off, let them rest for a couple of minutes and either slice or serve whole and enjoy!
- We served ours with grilled Plantain, Rice and Peas! #BBQBoysUK
Total cook time: Approx 2hrs15mins 🇯🇲